Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Tokyopop: A Final Goodbye, and the End of Manga

I started in denial: it was a prank. An April Fool's joke.
Then I was told once more a few months later and I knew it was true.
Tokyopop, the American manga publishing company, has officially shut down as of last month.
Tonight I was out to dinner with my family when we visited the book store afterwards. On my way over, I wondered what the manga section would look like after this "end". I was shocked at the change in the shelves I'm so used to seeing dominated with CLAMP series or Fruits Basket or Future Diary. Tokyopop volumes were slim pickings with far and few in between.

This is a great loss, in my mind, to the Otaku community. According to Anime News Network, Tokyopop was an pioneer in unflopped Japanese comics in America.
Not only that, but it holds a great deal of nostalgic sadness on my part: the first manga series that go me into anime and my current otaku life was Fruits Basket, one of Tokyopop's most-loved and best-selling series.

At the end of the day, my desire to see the logo above flourish in bookstores once again does nothing.
These days it seems like everything's ending: just as I've finished my school year, my brother has graduated middle school, Demyx Time released the trailer for its final episode, my remaining great-grandparent passed away recently, Borders closed and now this.
Things are changing, I regret to say.

- Much luvz, Hideki.

No comments:

Post a Comment